Camper Application Information
The application deadline for Summer 2014 in most areas has now closed. Please check the list below for those areas still accepting applications before begining. (Local selectors may also direct you here to fill in the application.)
Applications for Summer 2015 will be open by December 1st.
- Cyprus: March 1st
- Japan: Please contact the Foundation Office for information
- South Korea: March 3rd
- United Kingdom: March 1st
Click here to begin your application.
You will also need:
- Two required references using our Online Candidate Reference Form. One reference must come from a school official (teacher, guidance counselor or principal) and the other from a non-family adult who knows the candidate outside the academic setting (extra-curricular activity leader, religious advisor, coach, scoutmaster, etc.).
- A transcript: This should provide a list of classes and the grades/results achieved or an explanation, signed by a school official, of why this information is not available. Interim grades are permitted. Transcripts should be uploaded into your application in the online system.
We seek candidates with diverse talents and interests from different cultural, regional and economic backgrounds who have the potential to change their worlds. Individuals who are a good fit with CRS tend to demonstrate:
- LEADERSHIP POTENTIAL: A history of taking initiative among one’s peers; self-confidence, openness and fairness in dealing with others; cooperation and collaboration when others lead.
- CHARACTER: Honesty, compassion, integrity, a concern for humanity and an appreciation of the value of human diversity.
- INDIVIDUALITY: A wide range of personal abilities and interests; creativity; divergent thinking.
- INTELLECT: A capacity for academic achievement and the ability to think critically; curiosity about the world.
- LEARNING FROM EXPERIENCE: The ability and willingness to learn from mistakes; using feedback to improve and grow; gaining insight from new experiences.
- CULTURAL REPRESENTATION: The ability to represent one’s local / regional culture. (The candidates should have lived at least 5 years in the region or country from which they are chosen.)
- Birth date between June 1, 1998 and June 1, 2000.
- Available for the full seven-week season: June 28th - August 16th
- Competent in spoken English. English is essential for understanding safety instructions and for maximizing the benefit of the CRS experience. A brief telephone interview may be part of the application process.
- Must not be the child, grandchild or stepchild of any previous Camp Rising Sun participant.
- A full medical (physical and mental health) evaluation must be obtained prior to arrival. Candidates whose physical or mental health history would preclude full participation in our Program may be asked to withdraw their applications.
Camper selection is overseen by a Committee of alumni who collaborate with local alumni selectors around the world who maintain close relationships with target schools and youth programs. Candidates may also learn about the program from peers, our website, education journals, and many other sources.
Telephone: +1 212-686-1930
The Louis August Jonas Foundation (LAJF) and Camp Rising Sun (CRS) have a long-held commitment to the principles of diversity, stemming from our mission. In that spirit, LAJF and CRS do not discriminate in violation of the law on the basis of race, religion, creed, color, sexual orientation, nation of origin, or gender.