How to Apply
Applications for Camp Rising Sun 2015 are now closed.
Please consider applying next year!
Who we look for
We seek candidates with different talents and interests from diverse cultural, regional, racial and economic backgrounds who have the potential to change their worlds. Our campers do not fit a single mold; rather, we choose candidates who can complement each other by bringing different strengths, experiences, and interests to the community. Individuals who are a good fit with CRS tend to demonstrate:
- LEADERSHIP POTENTIAL: A history of taking initiative among one’s peers; self-confidence, openness and fairness in dealing with others; cooperation and collaboration when others lead.
- CHARACTER: Honesty, compassion, integrity, a concern for humanity and an appreciation of the value of human diversity.
- INDIVIDUALITY: A wide range of personal abilities and interests; creativity; divergent thinking.
- INTELLECT: A capacity for academic achievement and the ability to think critically; curiosity about the world.
- LEARNING FROM EXPERIENCE: The ability and willingness to learn from mistakes; using feedback to improve and grow; gaining insight from new experiences.
- CULTURAL REPRESENTATION: The ability to represent one’s local or regional culture. Candidates should have lived at least 5 years in the region or country from which they are chosen.
How it works
Campers are selected by alumni committees around the world. These local alumni, who we call “selectors”, perform outreach in their areas, review applications, interview candidates, and support accepted campers and their families. To contact a selector in your area, please click here. If there is no selector in your area, your application will be reviewed by CRS volunteers.
In order to apply for summer 2015, candidates must meet the following requirements:
1. Birth date between June 1, 1999 and June 1, 2001.
2. Available for the full four-week season. Late arrivals and early departures are not permitted.
Boys Session: June 27 – July 25, 2015
Girls Session: July 29 – August 26, 2015
3. Competent in spoken English. English is essential for understanding safety instructions and for maximizing the benefit of the CRS experience. A telephone or in-person interview will be part of the application process.
4. Must not be the child, grandchild or stepchild of any previous Camp Rising Sun participant.
5. A full medical (physical and mental health) evaluation must be obtained prior to arrival. Candidates whose physical or mental health history would preclude full participation in our Program may be asked to withdraw their applications.
All application materials must be received by February 1, 2015 in most places. Candidates must submit:
1. An online application form with short answer questions and an essay.
2. A school transcript: this should be attached to the online application form.
3. Two references: Applicants should ask two adults to file an online reference form. One reference should be academic (teacher, guidance counselor, etc.) and one should be personal (coach, club leader, religious advisor, etc.).
The Louis August Jonas Foundation (LAJF) and Camp Rising Sun (CRS) have a long-held commitment to the principles of diversity, stemming from our mission. In that spirit, LAJF and CRS do not discriminate in violation of the law on the basis of race, religion, creed, color, sexual orientation, nation of origin, or gender.